Thursday, August 4, 2011

Run #12: 31 min.

Aberdeen. Probably 70s again. This was yesterday. At the end of my run I sat down in a park to pray a bit, and this couple was in a fight. The guy was swearing and super-agressive with the woman. I couldn't hear her say anything, but when I was looking the other way I heard sounds that sounded like slaps, but I couldn't see anything when I looked back. I didn't want to be too obvious in looking because he looked scary. There were a bunch of kids there near them listening to him yell at her. Maybe their kids. Anyhow, she looked kind of passive/afraid to react too much, stood very still most of the time, although a few times she was reaching for something he had but wouldn't give to her. I didn't want to leave but since Tommy was a couple blocks away I thought the presence of a Big Tough guy might cause this guy to watch himself. When I got to the house, Tommy was in the shower, but I told Angie what was up and she grabbed her phone and bike and headed over immediately. I ran a bit behind. She rolled her bike right up to them, parked it and then walked around the playground for a while as she was talking w/the police and didn't want him to hear her. The police came and took care of stuff, so we went home. I realized later that the reason the woman hadn't left is because I think the guy had her car keys and wouldn't give them back to her. Mean guy. Anyway, when I talked to a friend of ours on the phone in Bahrain last night about how my 'quiet time w/God' was sort of interrupted, he considers that it wasn't...and that this falls into the category when God says 'I desire mercy and not sacrifice". So by helping out the person whose trouble 'coincidentally' became apparent to me in my time of prayer, it was doing something a lot more important than having some transcendent spiritual experience. He's got a point. Anyway, that Angie is a bold girl, I'll say that for her!

No comments:

Post a Comment