Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Path to Aberdeen

Well, I mentioned before that my roommate Kaitlin was buying a house, and that the timing coincided with Tommy's month-long Aberdeen trip closely enough to make it a possibility. Though I did not feel a personal burden to come on the trip, I had said that if it seemed financially viable for me to come, I would make it happen. I would have to 1) not be paying rent in 2 places, and 2) find a temp agency or agencies to work through in Aberdeen.

Initially, we thought I had to move as of the end of Sept. That left the awkward question of where I would store my stuff in August and the likelihood that I would have to move my stuff twice, which I did not want to do. This was because Kaitlin was the caretaker of our building and because I could not take over that job, I could not take over the apt.

Then, before she had gotten around to giving her 2 month notice, we received notification that the caretaker system was being abolished and they were going to outsource the care of the buildings. She had been the caretaker for our property for 3 years. Since this 'coincidental' happening allowed me to stay on and take over the lease, I stopped seeking a new apt. and started to seek a new roommate. I finally settled on Erica Christenson, a friend of Kaitlin's, who also, luck would have it, needed to move in early, in the middle of August. Thus, at Kaitlin's suggestion, Kaitlin is subleasing from me for the month of August, and Erica will be able to move into her room (the larger room) in August. I paid about $50 for the first week before the move-in, and wallah! I was free to go to Aberdeen, where they are not charging us for rent at the community house where we are staying. Tommy was given a small room in the basement with a bed, and I inhabit the 'piano room' on the main floor. The other residents here are Dan and Angie Cleberg, the directors of the Fallout Creative Community and owners of the Red Rooster Coffeehouse, their daughter Zion (7), and Rosanne and Jeremy, who are both volunteers here.

I also applied for a temp agency out here and went to my interview on Aug. 2nd. I have not been sent out on any jobs yet, but I'm sure that will come.

That's my story! Tommy also has a bit of a story about how we made it here, which you can read at his blog, The World and Everything. Feel free to follow along for the ride... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment